Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Cliff Diver

"Welp, that's the last of it."

I shut the trunk firmly with both hands, dusted them off theatrically, and grinned at the oft-repeated movie cliche put to action.
Suddenly, I felt very, very happy.


I checked all of the drawers for... oh, probably the hundredth time, peeking under furniture just to be certain I hadn't missed anything, no matter how small.
Reassured myself that if I forgot anything, it wasn't as though I could never come back.

Peeked in on my stored art collection and old school notes, safely stored in a cool, dark space, somewhere they weren't likely to be discovered and commandeered.
Packed and unpacked the art a couple of times, but ultimately decided I would save them for when I have an apartment of my own, and can properly hang them.

Shopped online for new sheets, wondering if I was a warm golden paisley, a prim ladylike floral, or a brightly colored spray of wildflowers on a navy field.
Smiled as I realized, I can be anyone I want to be.
Put aside the chore of shopping for my new persona for later.


I ran some errands, because even at the core of me, I am a gracious guest.
Laughed when I realized I was also the gracious host now, I live there too.  Actually, right now, more of me is there than here... the only thing not in the car is my laptop bag, a box of books too heavy for me to move alone, and my mini-fridge.

Everything else is waiting for me there, eager for me to unpack it, shift it about, give it a new purpose, a new place to function within.
My heart lingers here, though... I waste time, drinking another cup of coffee, checking the drawers again, as though I might find my courage hidden away in a corner.

I put my toes on the precipice.
I take my last swig of coffee.

See you on the city side.

No comments:

Post a Comment